Monday, February 8, 2010

Folder Takes Ages To Load? Try This Fix

Do your folders take a lot of time to load? Friendly Computers want to help you and share this useful article.

I have one folder on my hard drive where I put all the downloads from the Internet on; Videos, photos, documents, music, programs and basically anything that gets downloaded. I noticed lately that it took a long time to open that folder in Windows Explorer. Or, to be more precise, a long time before the contents where sorted correctly in the folder. Windows Explorer would show that loading animation in the location bar and it took a few seconds before the files and folders were sorted properly.

I first thought it was related to the size of the contents which now occupied 247 Gigabytes of space on that hard drive. the 35k files and 485 subfolders could also have been a problem. Deleting some old contents in that folder did not fix the problem. I also tried switching the layout but every view mode resulted in the same problems.

Then I thought about other programs that might cause the problem. Antivirus software or shell extensions but none of this was the reason for the lag that was experienced whenever I opened that folder. All other folders opened fine but none had the size or files of that one folder.

Then I discovered the customize tab in the folder properties dialog which finally allowed me to fix the issue that I had.

The “optimize this folder for” pulldown menu was set to Pictures although pictures did not make up the bulk of the data. I switched that to videos, enabled the “also apply this template to all subfolders” option and et voila, the folder contents where being displayed immediately afterwards. I double-checked, reverted the changes to end up with the same slow loading folder. Applied the fix again and it was once again fast and without lag.

Source: http://windows7news.com/2010/02/04/folder-takes-ages-to-load-try-this-fix/